The Center for Montessori Education|New York was founded in 1979 on the belief that we should embody the very principles, practices and ideals central to a Montessori classroom:
· Respect for the individual
· Development of the human potential
· Support of the community
· Nurturing the spirit
· Pursuit of academic excellence
Our teaching is deeply rooted in the traditions of Dr. Maria Montessori and is enriched by current research in child development, conflict resolution and psychology. We are affiliated with the American Montessori Society (AMS) and accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE).
Our rich tradition of quality programs and experienced faculty enables CME|NY to graduate students who are qualified to meet the expanding needs of today's Montessori educational system. We aim to enable and empower adults to assist children in their optimal development and to be a model and resource for families, child care centers, schools and communities throughout the country.
As a student of one of the oldest and most highly respected teacher education programs, you will receive:
· Quality instruction hours with experienced teachers and internationally renowned Montessorians
· Year-round support through mentoring and on-site consultation
· Access to a network of educators and alumni for professional opportunities
Whether you work in a public or independent educational environment, we offer a variety of programs to meet your needs and interests.
Each teacher education program consists of:
· Academic phase — Adult Leaners attend CME|NY classes held at one of our training locations
· Practicum phase — Adult Learners work at CME|NY approved sites of their choice during the school year
· Seminars — Adult Learners attend annual seminars to enhance their skills and build community
Summer 2013 Programs:
- Early Childhood – For teaching children ages 2½ to 6
- Elementary II 9-12 Stand Alone - For teaching children ages 9 to 12
NOTE: 2013 Will be the last summer we offer the Elementary II Teaining as a stand alone program
- Elementary II 9-12 for 6-12 Credential - For those with Montessori training for ages 6 to 9 who wish to obtain an American Montessori Society credential to teach ages 6 to 12
- Course for Montessori School Management (CMSM) – For current administrators, directors, principals, heads of school already working in a Montessori School
The following program schedules are currently under development:
- Infant and Toddler -- For teaching children from birth to age 3
- Elementary I - For teaching children ages 6 to 9
The majority of CME|NY’s programs are held at the College of New Rochelle, in New Rochelle, New York.
We also offer Early Childhood teacher education classes at Christopher Academy in Westfield, New Jersey. Please contact Lisanne Pinciotti at
for further information.